The Local Government, Elections and Rural Development Department is working to respond to the specific needs of the citizens of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa falling within the ambit of local governance. The Department has been assigned the responsibility to implement the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Local Government Act 2013 to achieve the stated objectives of the local government reforms introduced by the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The Department also has regulatory and administrative functions to ensure that the local governments throughout the province perform their roles and functions within the policy framework introduced under the new law.
To enhance the local governments’ ability to generate revenue and optimally utilize development funds while meeting the needs of their respective administrative units, including the ability to deliver municipal services and provide infrastructure.
- To enable cities and towns in the province to become engines of economic growth.
- To create efficient mechanisms for governance of urban and rural areas that can facilitate the flow of goods and services.
- To address inter-jurisdictional and intra-jurisdictional issues between cities, towns and villages
- To build the capacity of local governments to provide municipal infrastructure, facilities and services.
- Encouragement of local government institutions as an obligation and a principle of policy
- Decentralization of government administration on the axis of expeditious disposal of business for convenience of the public
- Devolution of political, financial and administrative authority and responsibility to elected representatives in local governments
- Improving citizen participation and bringing the state closer to the citizen
- Outlining a framework for shared commitments of the government and development partners
- Developing a common understanding of the local government system
- Setting the context for delivery of assistance of development partners for strengthening local government system
- Overseeing the placement of systemic arrangements, resource allocation and support institutions
- Contributing through exchange of experience and lessons learnt
The three “i” approach
Within the Department, our people and processes are guided by our three “i” approach, i.e. integrity, innovation and initiative.
integrity: We set high-quality standards in providing essential public services. We remain responsive, open, transparent and accountable with respect to our roles and functions towards our stakeholders.
innovation: Urbanisation trends, rural expansions, technological changes, demographic shifts and scores of other newer phenomena inspire us to look out for unique solutions to address multifarious public sector development challenges.
initiative: We have developed a culture of proactive approach within the Department which is characterised by utilising available resources in swift and sustainable ways for the welfare of the citizens of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Local governments constituted as a result of the enactment of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Local Government Act 2013 are:
- City District Government for district Peshawar
- District Government for district other than Peshawar
- Tehsil Municipal Administration for a tehsil
- Town Municipal Administration for a town in the City District
- Village Council for a village in the rural areas.
- Neighbourhood Council for a neighbourhood in areas with urban characteristics
Our Team at LGE & RDD