Functions assigned to LGE & RDD as per Rule of Business are:
- All matters connected with the Administration of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Local Government Act, 2013.
- Child Marriage Restraint Act 1929.
- Administrative controls of LLAs, GDA and PDA.
- Provincial Delimitation Authority.
- North WestFrontierProvince Public Property (Removal of Encroachment) Act, 1977.
- Muslim Family Law Ordinance, 1962.
- Hackney Carriage Act, 1879 and Stage Carriage Act, 1861.
- Conciliation Court Ordinance, 1961.
- Special Marriage Act, 1872.
- Fire Brigade.
- Burning and burial grounds and Muslim grave yards not taken over by the Auqaf Department.
- Matter pertaining to the Election for the Provincial and National Assembly.
- Provincial Election Authority and Provincial Election Tribunal concerning Local Councils.
- Matters relating to Referendum on a national issue.
- Village Police.
- Rural Works Programme and Rural Uplift.
- German Aid Financial Project (Pakistan Academy for Rural Development), and Budget and Accounts matter of Pakistan Academy for Rural Development (PARD) and Pakistan Provincial Services Academy (PPSA) development plans and development funds pertaining to Local Councils and Local Bodies.
- Grant in Aid for Local Council.
- Processing of ADP through District Coordination Committees.
- Water Supply and Sewerage Schemes of Local Council.
- U.S Aid Financial Project.
- Asian Development Bank Assisted Projects (Farm to Market Roads through Local Councils).
- World Food Programme.
- UNICEF Programme.
- Women Programme and Overseas Women Foundation.
- Adult Education.
- Village/Union Council Library Programme.
- Local Council Reforms/Local Government Commission.
- Matters relating to Kachi Abadi.
- Village Electrification Programme.
- Registration of Birth, Deaths and Marriage.
- Slaughter houses under the Local Councils and Local Bodies (other than those in Cantonments).
- Local Councils Services including Engineering and Health Services for Local Councils.
- High / Low Selection Boards (LCS) and others matter relating to the Local Councils Services.
- Service matters of the defunct Village Aid and B.D. Department.
- Delegation of additional power to Local Councils.
- Privileges and Protocol of Local Councilors.
- Ponds and Prevention of cattle trespass.
- Pre-Partition claims relating to Local Bodies.
- Seminars, conventions and publications concerning Local Councils.
- Local Councils contribution to Provincial Government.
- Local Taxation and Local Rates.
- Education Cess on Octroi.
- Education Cess on Export Tax.
- Urban Property Tax payable to Local Councils.
- Aerial Spray Surcharges on Gur.
- Local Government Pool Fund.
- Local Government Research Statistics and Evalution.
- Foreign delegations/training of Local Councilors.
- Construction and minor repair of Basic Health Units and Primary Schools, Maktabs through Local Councils.
- Arrangments of Horse and Cattle shows and fairs.
- Jashan-i-Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Coordination of National Building Department through District Coordination Committees.
- Management of NazoolLand.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Establishment & Administration Department.
The key strategies underpinning our functional approach include:
- Pursuing an ambitious programme of modernisation and change whilst meeting targets in the relation to the Government’s local government reforms agenda
- Ensuring that staff resources meet the policy and operational needs through supporting them in performing to their maximum abilities to meet the Department’s objectives
- Maintaining effective management of the Department’s financial provisions and continuing to develop enhanced financial management and internal control systems
- Delivering efficient and high-quality public services in line with the standards laid down under the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Local Government Act 2013
- Sustaining structured coordination and communication mechanisms with Line Departments, Non-Government Organisations, Civil Society and the citizens of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on matters of common interest with reference to sustainable development
As the administrative Department on behalf of local government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the major functions of the Local Government, Elections and Rural Development Department are classified in the following manner.
- Formulating policy frameworks
- Setting strategic directions
- Coordinating with local governments in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Administering and managing resources
Formulating policy frameworks
by framing or reforming laws, rules and guidelines for working of local government units at different administrative tiers (district councils, tehsil municipal administration and village/neighbourhood councils). Besides, the Department is also entrusted with developing and implementing policy guidelines on public service delivery issues faced by the citizens of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Setting strategic directions
to steer the progress and performance of local governments in line with the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s development vision for the citizens of the province.
Coordinating with local government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
on matters corresponding to the implementation of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Local Government Act 2013. The Department also coordinates with Federal and Provincial Government Departments on pertinent matters that relate to its mandate.
Administering and managing resources
in a transparent, optimal and sustainable manner to improve the quality, delivery and frequency of municipal and basic services. This includes management of more than 20,000 employees working in its attached and subordinating units across the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.