Nurturing talent and experience to deliver good governance
The Local Governance School is the training institute of the Local Government, Elections and Rural Development Department (LGE&RDD), Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Notified in 2008, the Local Governance School has the mandate to:
- Conduct pre-service trainings, refresher courses, seminars, workshops for all Local Council Service employees and elected representatives.
- Coordinate all capacity building activities undertaken by local projects and development partners with the Local Government, Elections and Rural Development Department as well as Tehsil Municipal Administrations (TMAs).
- Conduct trainings/orientations for other officers serving in the province regarding local governance and service delivery.
A dedicated institute of human resource development in the arena of local governance for efficient management and effective delivery of basic social and municipal services.
To provide high quality trainings, refresher courses, study tours, exchange and dialogues with the public sector employees in general and LGE&RDD and Local Council Board employees in particular so as to achieve the envisioned core functions for local good governance.
Administrative Department: To provide policy and strategic guidance.
Local Council Board: To manage the service and provide operational guidance.
Local Governance School: To cater for policy research, training and capacity building needs through its faculty and academia.
Need / Rationale
Focus: Focusing on local governance by providing the facility of pre-service training and refresher courses for improvement in delivery and management of basic social services and municipal services as core components.
Road Map: Starting with basic certificate courses, developing into a specialised academic institute and graduating to degree courses.
Section 110 of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Local Government Act 2013 states that the Nazimeen, Naib-Nazimeen, members of the local councils and functionaries in local governments shall attend training courses for such periods and in such manner and at such places as may be prescribed by Government. Accordingly, the Provincial Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa under its Integrated Development Strategy (2014-2018) has positioned the Local Governance School as a focal point for capacity building activities.
- With the state of the art training hall, the Local Governance School can provide trainings for upto 100 participants.
- The 13 guest rooms including 3 VIP rooms provide comfortable overnight stay for participants as well as resource persons.
- A library is an essential tool for learning. The School’s library provides relevant literature for its target audience as well as reference material for elected representatives.
- The School has well-equipped and functional cafeteria.
The library of the Local Governance School
The trainee room of the Local Governance School
The cafeteria of the Local Governance School
|03 one-day trainings on ‘E-Tendering’ for Chief Municipal Officers and Chief Coordination Officers||104|
|04 days training on ‘Financial Management’ as well as ‘Gender Sensitisation and Mainstreaming in Local Development’||45|
|04 months ‘Pre-Service Training’ for newly recruited Local Council Service Officers of Administration, Finance and Engineering Cadres (BPS-11)||68|
|03 days and 02 days ‘Gender Based Union Council Management Training’ for Secretaries of Union Councils||349/14|
|05 months ‘Pre-Service Training’ for newly recruited Local Council Service Officers of Administration Cadre (BPS-17)||38|
|1 day and 1.5 days training on ‘Khidmat Hamara Azam’ for Potential Women Leaders||1305/28|
|04 days training for Tehsil Municipal Officers / Tehsil Officer (Infrastructure) on ‘Gender Sensitive Planning’||250/10|
|02 days ‘Gender Sensitisation Workshop’ for Union Council Members||145/05|
|02 days training on ‘New Accounting Model’ for Tehsil Officers (Finance) / Assistant Tehsil Officers (Finance) / Resident Audit Officers (RAOs)||150|
Trainees during a session at the Local Governance School
Training in progress at the Local Governance School
Group photo of the successful trainees with the administration
Offering Training Facilities
The Local Governance School also offers facilities to government and non-governments organisations for trainings, workshops and seminars on reasonable rates.
Mr. Naseer Ahmad Khan
Training Officer, Local Governance School
Plot 33, St # 12, E-8, Phase-7, Hayatabad